The Black Diamond ("Den Sorte Diamant" in Danish) is the modern extension of the Royal Library, and it has a prominent place on Copenhagen's waterfront. Completed in 1999 and designed by architects Schmidt Hammer Lassen, the building is attatched to the old part of the library (dating from 1906) and is clad in black granite known as "Absolute Black" which was mined in Zimbabwe and polished in Italy.
The Library also houses the National Museum of Photography, the National Museum of Cartoon Art (yes, there is one), and an auditorium that seats 600 people.
Shot for Danish magazine Euroman.
At the entrance to the lending area is a huge fresco painted by renowned Danish artist Per Kirkeby - it is 210 m2 and took more than a year to complete.